The "pain and suffering" of people infected with hepatitis C and HIV from contaminated blood has been revealed in testimonies published by the inquiry investigating their cases.
The Penrose inquiry, set up by the Scottish Government two years ago, is gathering evidence on how hundreds of people in Scotland, such as haemophilia patients, were given contaminated blood in the 1970s and 1980s.
Victims and their families gave evidence earlier this year during closed sessions at a series of hearings in Edinburgh.
Thompsons Solicitors, the lawyers appointed by inquiry chairman Lord Penrose to represent all transfusion and haemophiliac victims, said the transcripts illustrated the "incredible pain and suffering" caused by the scandal and called for "no stone to be left unturned" to get "real answers" for the victims.
Solicitor Patrick McGuire said: "These emotional accounts reveal the human side of this scandal. The victims and their families found their lives turned upside down by HIV and hepatitis C through no fault of their own. It is simply impossible to imagine the suffering they've been through."
He added: "Their strength and determination for answers got this inquiry and they must not be let down. No stone should be left unturned by Lord Penrose. This must be an inquiry which gets real answers and justice for the victims."
One person, a haemophiliac who was treated at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, now has severe sight problems because of his HIV infection.
He said: "My life has been ruined by this scandal. To say I'm outraged is putting it lightly. I was tested on for years without my or my parents' consent. I was used and abused by the doctors involved.
"They knew I was HIV positive and had hepatitis C but kept quiet. They've taken my life away from me."
The public hearings of the inquiry will resume on September 6 in Edinburgh.
The Penrose inquiry, set up by the Scottish Government two years ago, is gathering evidence on how hundreds of people in Scotland, such as haemophilia patients, were given contaminated blood in the 1970s and 1980s.
Victims and their families gave evidence earlier this year during closed sessions at a series of hearings in Edinburgh.
Thompsons Solicitors, the lawyers appointed by inquiry chairman Lord Penrose to represent all transfusion and haemophiliac victims, said the transcripts illustrated the "incredible pain and suffering" caused by the scandal and called for "no stone to be left unturned" to get "real answers" for the victims.
Solicitor Patrick McGuire said: "These emotional accounts reveal the human side of this scandal. The victims and their families found their lives turned upside down by HIV and hepatitis C through no fault of their own. It is simply impossible to imagine the suffering they've been through."
He added: "Their strength and determination for answers got this inquiry and they must not be let down. No stone should be left unturned by Lord Penrose. This must be an inquiry which gets real answers and justice for the victims."
One person, a haemophiliac who was treated at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, now has severe sight problems because of his HIV infection.
He said: "My life has been ruined by this scandal. To say I'm outraged is putting it lightly. I was tested on for years without my or my parents' consent. I was used and abused by the doctors involved.
"They knew I was HIV positive and had hepatitis C but kept quiet. They've taken my life away from me."
The public hearings of the inquiry will resume on September 6 in Edinburgh.

No comments:
Post a Comment